The IDAHO Committee and IFED/NELFA wrote the following, concerning IDAHOT 2017:
Some of you may still remember that we had taken the collective decision last year not to mainstream the two elected IDAHOT focus issues and to postpone the focus issue on “families” to 2017. We can therefore make this early announcement that in 2017 the IDAHOT focus issue will be FAMILIES.
This focus includes both
– The role of families in the well-being of their LGBTIQ members
– The respect of the rights of LGBTIQ families (rainbow families)
We also of course want to use this focus issue to counter the reclaiming of family values by conservatives.
We hope that this focus issue on families will
– Strengthen the visibility and voice of LGBTIQ parents
– Strengthen the visibility and voice of Rainbow families and lead to advances in recognition and rights
– Strengthen the visibility and voice of children of LGBTIQ parents, and possibly strengthen the structuring of their nascent movement
– Reclaim “family values” in a progressive understanding
– Facilitate alliances with progressive family organisations
Given the proximity in dates and values of the International Family Equality Day (IFED), early May, we have taken the very natural and exciting decision to combine IFED and IDAHOT in 2017.
The IDAHOT will of course remain open to any other initiatives, either around other aspects related to Families, or on other issues. As always, the focus issue constitutes a possible entry point for mobilisation, advocacy and alliance building, but only if this is relevant for each stakeholder.
Around the focus issue, we constitute each year a steering committee whose aim it is to
– reflect on the objectives listed above
– contribute to a background document (see last year’s document)
– identify stakeholders at international/regional levels that can be mobilised (in our case, we could aim at international unions of progressive family organisations)
– suggest possible advocacy/campaigning initiatives at international/regional levels
We are looking forward to hearing back from you on this focus issue, with any suggestion, comment, contribution, etc. at contact@ dayagainsthomophobia.org.
Tamara Adrian, Joel Bedos – IDAHO Committee
Maria von Känel – IFED/NELFA